Wood countertops have become a trendy choice for homeowners. Wood provides a natural beauty that will enhance the appearance of any kitchen. There are many types of wood countertops to choose from like maple, walnut, oak, and cherry. Stylistic choices in countertops include edge grain, face grain, or end grain. Stain and finish complete the look, giving each of these options a one-of-a-kind look and feel.
Here are 5 reasons to incorporate wood countertops into your remodeling or new construction project.
- Appearance The most common reason people choose wood for their countertops is their curb appeal. They give off a particular natural dimension and warmth that no other material can compete with.
- A Sense of Ease Not only is wood warm in appearance, but it’s also literally warmer to the touch than many materials such as tile, granite, or concrete. It’s a small thing, but it can make a big difference. It can make surfaces feel more inviting, encouraging folks to hang around longer. Wood is also quieter than other materials, which adds to the sense of ease it creates.
- Versatility Wood countertops pair well with a large variety of styles: traditional, rustic, cabin-chic, eclectic, French country, Mediterranean, modern, and sleek, to name a few.
- The “Butcher Block” Wood countertops are easy on your knives. Functional ones, like a butcher block, are ideal for food preparation. Once sealed, wood butcher block countertops are sanitary for chopping meat, and hot pots and pans can easily be placed on the surface because wood countertops are heat-resistant. The edges on your cutlery will last substantially longer than if working on granite or concrete.
- Getting Bored? Change It Up! Yes, you can refinish solid wood countertops. Multiple times! The exception would be if you buy a wood veneer butcher block. Typical wood veneers are only 1⁄8” of an inch thick and can only be sanded and refinished a handful of times at most. Refinishing a thicker surface takes only an orbital sander coupled with fine sandpaper. Remove any dust, wipe it down, and finish it off with a fresh coat of mineral oil or your favorite wax.
Wood is the perfect addition to your kitchen. We would love to help design your wood countertop look and elevate your space. As always, with Durango Wood Company, you’re in control with 100% customization and jurisdiction over species, designs, and sizes. Whether you’re working with a contractor, or on DIY projects, just show us what you want, and we’ll help you make it happen.